Blind-friendly version

Useful Information for Students

Student ID card

This is the first administration step after your arrival. You need to go to one of the government offices called Kormányablak=Government Window. Here you apply for the so called NEK-code which is necessary for ordering your student ID. Please watch the exact datas (date- and time of birth, mother’s maiden name etc.) in the application form!

Till you get the plastic student ID you’ll receive a temporary form which is valid for 60 days. As a student of a Hungarian university you get the following discounts:

  • 50% off by travelling,
  • 50% off on city transport in case of a monthly card,
  • discounts in museums and other places – watch the discount signs and always ask!

Bank account

Open a Hungarian bank account!

You will get the scholarship transferred to a Hungarian bank account. We have several banks in the city, so you can pick the one with the best conditions for students. As soon as you have the bank account number, please inform me, as we have to register it in our educational system, called NEPTUN! Three things must be correct in the NEPTUN System in order to get the scholarship:

  • active student status in the Fall semester,
  • valid Hungarian bank account number,
  • valid Hungarian tax ID.

You will get the first scholarship transfer only in October. Don’t worry though, you will get the September scholarship together with the October one. Please be prepared for that!

Residence Permit

Students from non-EU/EEA countries must obtain the residence permit within 30 days from the entry into Hungary – but as soon as possible. All non-EU/EEA citizens must have during their stay and studies in Hungary a valid residence permit. Please watch the exact datas (place and time of birth, mother’s maiden name, etc.) in the application form!

For the application you need the following documents:

  • one passport photo (please bring with you from home),
  • passport,
  • school attendance form,
  • form for non-EU/EEA citizens,
  • letter of award that you got from the Tempus Foundation,
  • accommodation reporting form for third country nationals: must be filled out and signed by the administration personal in the dormitory.

If you rent a flat: the “Accommodation Reporting Form for third country nationals” must be signed by the owner of the flat or the housing agency. Also yo need the Lease contract between you and the owner of the flat/the housing agency.

Tax ID card

You need the tax ID card for two reasons: your scholarship can be transferred only if you have a tax number. Secondly, you might want to work during your study period or in the holidays – for that you need a tax number too.

Please visit the following site where you’ll find detailled information about the tax ID card and about the application process:


Having the form instructions in English will help you to fill out the form. All you need is your passport. You will get the tax ID card by post to the dormitory’s address. Of course I’ll help you by filling out this document.

Health insurance

For exchange students from EU countries

Health insurance
For getting the medically necessary treatment in Hungary, you will need the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The health care provider decides whether the needed treatment is medically necessary during your stay in Hungary. Please do inform yourself in your homecountry about possible extended medical insurances valid in Hungary for hospital treatment and dentist.

How to use the European Health Insurance Card in Hungary
You need both the European Health Insurance Card and your passport or ID card.

If you need medically necessary treatment, it is advised to see a general practitioner (GP – “háziorvos”) first. The GP decides whether further specialised treatment is necessary and will issue a referral. Hospital treatment is normally provided through a referral from a GP. In urgent cases no referral is necessary.

Where a doctor or dentist issues a prescription, it should be taken to the pharmacy, where the EHIC shall be submitted as well. Subsidies on medicines can vary according to disease and type of product.

For citizens from non-EU states and third countries

Citizens and/or residents of countries, which are not part of the EU and which don’t have bilateral agreements with Hungary on the provision of health care, have to pay full price for the health care services rendered in Hungary. Please do inform yourself before your departure to Hungary what kind of extended insurance possibilities your homecountry’s insurance companies provide for your whole stay in Hungary.

General practitioner (GP) in Sopron
If you stay in one of the university’s dormitories, your GP is:
Mr. Dr. Tibor Rehák
Address: Sopron, Táncsics str. 11.
Phone: (36 99) 312 318

Your dentist:
Ms. Dr. Kamilla Déry
Address: Sopron, Várkerület 43.
Phone: + 36 20 96 58 609

Soproni Erzsébet Oktató Kórház és Rehabilitációs Intézet
Address: Sopron, Győri út 15.
Phone: (+ 36 99) 514 200
Please visit the following page: http://www.sopronkorhaz.hu/

You can apply for this document only if you already have the Residence Permit. So this will be the last step on the field of documents you need for your stay in Hungary.

Please note that you are entitled to the following two health insurances for free of charge. You can get both of them:

  • Hungarian state insurance (TAJ-card=Társadalombiztosítási Azonosító Jel =Insurance Identifier Data)
  • Private insurance usually provided by the Generali Insurance Company

Here is a comparison between TAJ and Private insurance

TAJ card

Private insurance

  • can be used in Hungarian hospitals, surgeries and clinics operated by the Hungarian government. FREE of CHARGE!
  • can be used only in hospitals or doctors who have a contract with the insurance company
  • the staff hardly speaks English – some of the doctors might speak, rather the younger generation
  • you will be advised to an English speaking doctor
  • covers all health related costs with no limitation e.g.: surgery, X-ray (except if you need this for working purposes), bandages, staying in the hospital, etc.
  • covers only minor health issues e.g. cold, cough, fever, simple examinations up to 2 million HUF
  • if the surgery/hospital can’t handel your case, you will be sent to another where you don’t have to pay
  • if the surgery can’t handle your case, you will be sent to a Hungarian hospital where you have to pay. This cost can be covered by the insurance company but only if you have the invoice issued for the insurance company
  • basic dental services (checking, filling, root canal treatment, dental plaque removal) are free of charge at surgeries and clinics operated by the Hungarian government
  • treatments by the dentists are note covered at all, you have to pay for them
  • you’ll get the application form in my office and I will help you by filling it out. You need the following documents:
    • letter of award from Tempus Foundation
    • passport
    • residence permit
    • address card
  • if you wish to make a private health insurance please inform me and I will arrrange an appointment with the representant of the insurance company
  • TAJ card expires in 1 or 2 years, the expiry date is stamped on the card. The expiry date usually equals to the expiry date of the residence permit
  • usually valid for one year

How to get a new one?

Apply again for a new one within 30 days before the expiry date of the old one

How to get a new one?

Contact to your personal advisor at the insurance company

Print this article E-mail

Kapcsolódó elérhetőségek